Skolebrod are Norwegian sweet cardamom and custard buns.
The Scandinavians love their cardamom in baked goods. And I can totally get behind that. It just works so well. These buns are extremely soft, the custard is creamy. Cardamom in the dough spices it all up and the coconut to finish is the cherry on top.
This recipe makes 6 large buns. Multiply the amount of ingredients to make more. They are quite large, so you could also divide the dough into more smaller pieces and make more buns, but smaller ones. That is up to you. I like a big bun! 🙂
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
For the dough –
250g (8.8oz) strong white bread flour
5g (0.2oz) salt
40g (1.4oz) sugar
30g (1oz) soft butter
3g (0.1oz) dry yeast or 3x the amount of fresh yeast
2g (0.07oz) ground cardamom
145g (5.1oz) cold milk
To learn more about dough temperature control click here.
For the custard –
225g (8oz) full fat milk
3 egg yolks
75g (2.6oz) sugar
30g (1oz) cornflour
7g (0.25oz) vanilla paste
For the icing –
50g (1.75oz) icing sugar
8g (0.3oz) lemon juice
50g (1.75oz) desiccated coconut
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon of milk for brushing.
- To make the custard bring the milk up to a simmer. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour, and vanilla paste. Pour the egg yolk mix into the simmering milk whilst whisking continuously. Turn the heat down low and continue cooking the custard for 2 minutes. Pour into a bowl, cover with clingfilm so that it is touching and place in the fridge to cool down completely.
- Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice until smooth. Cover with cling film so that it is touching and leave on the side for later.
- In a bowl combine the milk, yeast, salt, sugar, cardamom, and butter. Mix well to dissolve the sugar and hydrate the yeast. Add the flour and mix to a dough.
- Knead the dough for 6 minutes. Desired dough temperature 25C (77F). If your dough is warmer, then it will ferment more rapidly. If it is cooler, then it will take longer. Adjust proofing time accordingly.
- Cover and ferment for 1 hour.
- Ferment for 1 more hour.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Preshape into balls.
- Rest for 15 minutes.
- Stretch the dough balls to form a hole in the middle.
- Cover and ferment for 1 – 1.5 hours. Preheat your oven to 160C (320F) fan on.
- Whisk the custard and place it into a piping bag.
- Stretch the dough balls to the desired size. Place them on a non-stick paper lined tray. Brush with the egg yolk & milk mix. Pipe in the custard. Spread the custard out.
- Bake the buns for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Let them cool down completely.
- Brush with the icing and dip the in the coconut.
Watch the video here