I recently posted a deep pan pizza recipe, which was quite popular, so I thought I’d make another version. This time we’re making a thinner pizza with a larger footprint. The hydration has been increased to 80% and the sauce is different. You can use my other sauce recipe for this pizza too. The recipe in this video is quicker and simpler. The sauce recipe in the previous video has a more intense flavour. Both are great in their own way.
If you don’t have a sheet pan that is guaranteed to not stick, then I’d suggest lining it with non-stick baking paper to avoid disappointment. Alternatively, you could bake it on non-stick paper and directly on a pre-heated baking steel or stone. Just be careful with the oil or else there will be a smoke show in your kitchen.
If you don’t want to cold ferment this dough, then let it bulk ferment at room temperature for about 2 hours or until it has doubled in size. Add an extra fold or two for tightness and continue as per instructions.
This pizza will fit perfectly in a 40cm x 27cm (15.5in x 10.5in) pan.
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
For the dough –
400g (14.1oz) white bread flour
40g (1.4oz) olive oil
8g (0.28oz) salt
3.5g (0.12oz) instant dry yeast or 4.2g (0.15oz) active dry yeast or 10.5g (0.37oz) fresh yeast
320g (11.3oz) water
To learn more about dough temperature control click here.
If you are using active dry yeast, then you may need to let it sit in the water for 10 minutes before adding the other ingredients or else it could take a lot longer to raise the dough.
For the sauce –
400g (14.1oz) tinned tomato
4g (0.14oz) salt
20g (0.7oz) olive oil
1g (0.035oz) oregano
1 clove of garlic
A few basil leaves.
- Make the sauce. Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Leave in the fridge for later.
- Make the dough. In a large bowl combine the water, yeast, salt, and oil. Mix well to dissolve the salt. Add the flour and mix to a dough. *Desired dough temperature around 25C (77F).
- Cover and chill the dough for 20 minutes.
- Fold #1.
- Chill for 20 minutes.
- Fold #2.
- Cold ferment for 12 – 24 hours.
- Shape the dough and place it on a greased tray.
- Cover and final proof for 2 hours. During the final hour of fermentation pre-heat the oven to 250C (480F) fan off.
- Stretch the dough to fill the tray. Top with sauce (there will be some left over). Add any other topping you like.
- Place the pizza in the oven and turn the temperature down to 230C (445F). Bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to set for 10 minutes and remove it from the tray. If you are using baking paper, then you can lift it out right away. I was doing it the hard way!
Enjoy your pizza ?
Keep in mind that the conditions in each kitchen are different, so fermentation times may vary for you. It is up to the baker to control the bread and react accordingly.
Your oven may be different too, so your baking time may vary.
Watch the video here