Fougasse is a traditional French bread shaped like a leaf.
Normally it is left plain or perhaps filled with some olives. I made a pizza fougasse. These toppings work extremely well on this bread. It is the perfect tear and share snack.
Fougasse is similar to Italian focaccia in method of preparation until baking time. Unlike focaccia, this bread is scored to create more surface area which makes it more crusty. The more you cut it, the crustier it will be. You can control this to achieve a texture that you like. The design can be as elaborate or as simple as you like.
A bread like this is best eaten warm and fresh.
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
For the dough –
280g (10oz) strong white bread flour
20g (0.7oz) wholemeal flour
4g (0.14oz) salt
4g (0.14oz) dry yeast or 3x the amount of fresh yeast
30g (1oz) olive oil
50g (1.75oz) cheese cubes
200g (7.1oz) cold water
To learn more about dough temperature control click here.
For the topping –
30g (1oz) jalapenos
50g (1.75oz) grated cheese
70g (2.5oz) pancetta
- In a bowl pour in all but 2 tablespoons of the water. Add the wholemeal flour and the white flour. Mix until no dry flour left. Flatten the dough, sprinkle over all the salt and dimple it in with a wet hand.
- Leave to autolyse for 30 minutes.
- Mix the remaining water with the yeast until the yeast is hydrated. Add to the dough and squeeze it together using your hand. Once the dough has come together tip it out on your table.
- Knead for 4 minutes. Desired dough temperature around 25 – 26C (77-79F). If your dough is warmer, then it will ferment more rapidly. If it is cooler, then it will take longer. Adjust proofing time accordingly.
- In your bowl pour in the oil and add the cheese cubes. Place the dough on top.
- Cover and ferment for 30 minutes.
- Fold #1.
- Ferment for 30 minutes.
- Fold #2.
- Ferment for 30 minutes
- Pour some oil around the dough and release it from the bowl. Place it on a non-stick paper lined tray.
- Final proof 30 minutes. During this time preheat your oven to 220C (430F) fan on.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese all over the dough and press it in gently. Cut to shape with your dough scraper. Top with jalapenos and pancetta.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Watch the video here