I have posted plenty of easy recipes on the channel, but this one is by far the simplest one. That does not mean that it’s any worse though. We are not sacrificing any quality here.
This cold fermented no-knead sandwich loaf is made with some cornmeal and whole wheat four in the mix adding great flavour. The 24-hour cold fermentation does not only make it taste amazing, but it also makes it super convenient. Perfect for a busy schedule.
The method is so simple that it takes no more than 5 minutes to prepare this loaf. Make it after work and the next day when you get back just bake it right from the fridge and have fresh bread for dinner and for the next couple of days.
This loaf fits in a 900g (2lb) loaf tin.
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
For the dough –
400g (14.1oz) white bread flour
50g (1.75oz) whole wheat flour
50g (1.75oz) coarse cornmeal
3g (0.1oz) instant dry yeast or 3.6g (0.12oz) active dry yeast or 9g (0.31oz) fresh yeast
10g (0.35oz) salt
350g (12.35oz) water*
*To learn more about dough temperature control click here.
Seeds for coating the loaf. You can use any seeds you like. I had a mix of black and white sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
The flour I use has a protein content of 13%. If your flour is weaker, then you may need to lower the hydration.
If you are using active dry yeast, then you may need to let it sit in the water for 10 minutes before adding the other ingredients or else it could take a lot longer to raise the dough.
- In a large bowl combine the water, yeast, salt, cornmeal, and whole wheat flour. Mix well to dissolve the salt completely. Add the white flour and mix until there is no dry flour left. *Desired dough temperature 25C (77F).
- Roughly shape the dough into a ball. Tip it out of the bowl and on to a tray filled with seeds. Cover the dough with the seeds all over.
- Place the dough in a non-stick paper lined bread tin.
- Cover and cold ferment for 24 hours.
- Bake the loaf in a pre-heated oven at 180C (356F) fan off for 50 – 55 minutes.
- Leave to cool down and enjoy!
Watch the video here