Challah is a traditional Jewish bread. Enriched with eggs and slightly sweetened.
I have a recipe for a regular challah. But I decided to try and make a chocolate one. And it came out great! Replacing some of the flour with cocoa powder not only makes the dough chocolatey, but it also makes it a lot softer because cocoa powder does not contribute to the gluten development making this dough a lot looser. This bread is like a cake. So light and airy. With chocolate chips going through the dough.
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
450g (1lb) strong white bread flour
50g (1.75oz) cocoa powder
40g (1.4oz) vegetable oil
10g (0.35oz) salt
7g (0.25oz) dry yeast or 3x the amount of fresh yeast
40g (1.4oz) sugar
3 whole medium sized eggs *cold from the fridge
125g (4.4oz) cold water
To learn more about dough temperature control click here.
100g (3.5oz) chocolate chips
1 whole egg for brushing
Sesame seeds to sprinkle
- In a bowl whisk the eggs. Add the water, yeast, salt, sugar, vegetable oil & cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Add the flour and mix to a dough.
- Knead the dough for 8 minutes. Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and knead for another 2 minutes. Desired dough temperature 25C (77F). If your dough is warmer, then it will ferment more rapidly. If it is cooler, then it will take longer. Adjust proofing time accordingly.
- Cover & ferment for 1 hour.
- Ferment for 1 more hour.
- Divide the dough in 3 equal pieces. Preshape them in cylinders.
- Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the three dough pieces to a length equal to that between the tips of your fingers and your elbow. Taper the ends. Press the three points together and braid the dough. Tuck the ends underneath the loaf. Place the loaf on a parchment paper lined tray. At this point start preheating your oven to 160C (320F) fan on.
- Final proof 1 – 1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- Brush the loaf with egg. Let it dry for 5 minutes, then brush again. Sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Bake the loaf for 45 – 50 minutes or until the internal temperature reads above 94C (200F).
- Bake it with oil as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Watch the video here