If you love cardamom, then this one should be on your list.
Sweet, twisted, layered buns, filled with cardamom and cinnamon. They do love their cardamom in Scandinavia. And I get why. The flavour and smell are so distinct and work perfectly in baked goods. This recipe is for 6 buns. Multiply the amount of ingredients to make more.
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
For the dough –
300g (10.5oz) strong white bread flour
6g (0.2oz) salt
4g (0.15oz) dry yeast or 3x the amount of fresh yeast
50g (1.75oz) soft butter
50g (1.75oz) sugar
180g (6.3oz) cold milk
To learn more about dough temperature control click here.
For the filling –
70g (2.5oz) soft butter
70g (2.5oz) sugar
3g (0.1oz) cinnamon
3g (0.1oz) ground cardamom
For topping –
1 egg yolk mixed with
1 teaspoon of milk for brushing
For the glaze –
20g (0.7oz) sugar melted in
10g (0.35oz) water
- Make the filling by beating the butter, sugar, cinnamon & cardamom together. Keep on the side for later.
- In a bowl add the milk, yeast, salt, sugar & mix to combine. Add the flour and mix to a dough.
- Knead for 3 minutes. Add the butter & knead for another 3 minutes. Desired dough temperature 26-27C (79-80F).
- Cover and ferment for 1 hour.
- Ferment for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out to a large rectangle. Spread the filling all over. Fold the dough in 3 layers. Cut into 6 strips. Cut a slit in each strip keeping the top attached. Twist around and shape into a bun. *See video!
- Cover and ferment for 1 – 1.5 hours. During the final hour of fermentation preheat your oven to 160C (320F) fan on.
- Brush with the egg yolk & milk, sprinkle with pistachios & sugar nibs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Brush with the sugar glaze once ready.
Watch the video here