I’m not much of a pastry chef nor do I like to eat cakes very often. But I am responsible for providing some sweet bakes at the coffee bar in my workplace, so I do have a little bit of experience and a few recipes that I keep on rotation.
One of them being the chocolate brownie I posted recently which was quite well received. And the blueberry cheesecake slice was quite popular too. This raspberry crumble slice should fit right in.
It’s just as quick, simple, and easy to make as the other two. A delicious cake base with ground almonds, cinnamon, and yogurt. Layered with a quick and fresh raspberry jam and topped with a lemony crumble. It will be a perfect accompaniment to your tea of coffee.
You can use any berries or any mix of berries you like. They can be fresh or frozen. The sugar can be adjusted to your taste or swapped for other sugar.
The dimensions of the pan I use are 8in x 10in x 2.25in (20cm x 25cm x 5.5cm). You can find it in my Amazon storefront if you’re interested. But you certainly do not need it. This cake can be made in a shallower pan with a larger footprint. It will be slightly thinner, but there is nothing wrong with that.
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
For the jam –
300g (10.6oz) berries
20g (0.7oz) lemon juice
30g (1oz) water
50g (1.75oz) sugar
20g (0.7oz) corn-starch
For the crumble topping –
120g (4.25oz) AP white flour
80g (2.8z) cold butter, cubed
40g (1.4oz) sugar
1 lemon worth of zest
For the cake base –
250g (8.8oz) AP white flour
5g (0.17oz) cinnamon
5g (0.17oz) baking powder
60g (2.1oz) ground almonds
200g (7oz) sugar
100g (3.5oz) melted butter
50g (1.75oz) yogurt
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C (320F) fan on.
- Make the jam. Mix the sugar and corn-starch together and leave on the side.
- In a small pan combine the lemon juice, water, and berries. Place on the cooker on medium heat. Bring up to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and corn-starch mix and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and leave on the side.
- Make the crumble topping. Combine the flour, sugar, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the cold butter cubes and coat them in flour. Crumble the butter until it is nice and small, and the crumble mix is relatively uniform. Leave on the side.
- Make the cake base. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and ground almonds. Mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar and melted butter. Mix well. Add the eggs and yogurt. Whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Build the cake. Spread 2/3 of the cake base on to a non-stick paper lined baking tray.
- Pour over the jam and spread it out evenly.
- Dot the remaining 1/3 of cake base over the jam.
- Cover the whole surface with the crumble topping and spread it out evenly.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes.
- Leave to cool down completely before removing from the tin and slicing.
I like to leave it in the fridge before slicing for nice straight edges.
Watch the video here