No-knead bread can be extremely rewarding if done right.
The minimal effort it takes to make a bread like this yields a delicious result. Let the dough do its thing and relax. I have also included a recipe for the sauce. And if you do not have a sourdough starter, then I have a regular yeasted no-knead pizza recipe too.
You can use any toppings you like. Go as crazy as you want. Just do not over do it. Too much stuff on top will weight the dough down and make it harder to bake. Do not use too many ‘wet’ ingredients because that will result in a puddle on top of the pizza. But you already know all of this if you have ever made a pizza before.
This recipe is for a 10” square pan. It is a pizza that would easily feed 2 very greedy mouths and then some!
Watch the video down below for detailed instructions.
For the levain –
60g (2.1oz) strong white bread flour
40g (1.4oz) water
10g (0.35oz) sourdough starter
For the main dough –
200g (7oz) strong white bread flour
6g (0.2oz) salt
15g (0.5oz) olive oil
135g (4.75oz) water at around 21C (70F) if your kitchen is around 22 – 24C (71-75F)
To learn more about dough temperature when using a preferment click here.
Extra olive oil for pouring
- Make the levain by mixing the water, sourdough starter & flour. Cover and ferment for 10 – 12 hours at around 22C (71F). If your kitchen is cooler or warmer, then it might take longer or less time. It should have at least doubled in size.
- In a bowl combine the remaining water, salt, olive oil, and leavain. Mix well.
- Add the flour and mix until no dry flour left. Make sure there are no lumps. Mix for longer if need be. Desired dough temperature 23C (73F). If your dough is warmer, then it will ferment more quickly. If it is cooler, then it will take longer. You can adjust your water temperature to control this.
- Cover and rest for 5 minutes. Fold#1. Rest for 5 more minutes. Fold #2. Rest for 5 minutes. Fold #3. Rest for 5 minutes. Fold #4.
- After the 4th fold cover the dough & ferment it for 6 hours or until doubled in size.
- Pour a bit of oil around the dough & release it from the bowl using your scraper. Turn it so that it gets covered by the oil all over.
- Place in a non-stick tray. If you do not have a non-stick tray, then use some non-stick paper to line your tray.
- Final proof 2 hours or until visibly puffed up and when poked with a finger leaves and indentation. During the final hour of fermentation preheat your oven to 230C (450F) no fan.
- Top the pizza with your favourite toppings and bake it for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Let it set in the pan for 5 minutes before removing.
Watch the video here