Got some spare starter? Why not make some crackers!
This recipe is so simple, it would be a sin to bin your leftover starter instead of making these. Loaded with seeds and rye flour they have a very distinct flavour. Who knows maybe they are kind of healthy too! This recipe is for a 23 x 33cm (9in x 13in) tray.
Watch the video down below to see detailed instructions.
150g (5.3oz) rye flour (white, whole, dark – any will do!)
100g (3.5oz) sourdough starter
40g (1.4oz) water
3g (0.1oz) bicarbonate of soda or baking powder
3g (0.1oz) salt + extra for topping
30g (1oz) melted butter
1 teaspoon black treacle or honey or syrup
1 egg and seeds for topping
- Add the water, salt, treacle, butter & starter to your bowl and mix well.
- Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda and mix to combine.
- Knead the dough for around 5 minutes.
- Wrap up and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough to size, place it on the paper and in the tray. Score it at this point.
- Cover and rest in fridge for 30 minutes. During this time pre-heat your oven to 180C (360F) with the fan on.
- Prick the dough with a fork all over and brush with the egg.
- Sprinkle on the toppings and press them in lightly.
- Bake for around 20 minutes.
Cool down and enjoy or store for later.
Watch the video here